Catalog Archive sidebar and hidden CSS

Looking for Archives?

Catalogs from past years can be found on our Download page.

Transfer Information

Catalog: Transfer Information


Courses numbered 300-499 are accepted for transfer by California State University (CSU) campuses. Although these courses are intended to meet major, general education, breadth or elective credit requirements, in some cases they may not do so. Please meet with a counselor for specific transfer course evaluation as you are planning the courses you plan to take at CRC.


The Course Identification Numbering System (C-ID) is a statewide numbering system independent from the course numbers assigned by local California community colleges. A C-ID number associated with a course signifies that the course is comparable in content and scope to courses offered at other California community colleges, regardless of course title or local course number. For example, a student who completed a communications course that has the C-ID designator COMM 110, would be assured that it would be accepted in lieu of a course with the same C-ID designator at any California community college.

The C-ID numbering system is useful for students attending more than one community college, as a way to identify comparable courses, and is applicable to many of the courses that students are required to complete as preparation for transfer. However, students should always use ASSIST ( to confirm how each community college’s course(s) will be accepted at a specific CSU or UC for transfer credit, especially for major preparation. Because these course requirements may change, and because courses may be modified and qualified for or deleted from the C-ID database, students should always check with a counselor to determine how C-ID designated courses fit into their educational plans for transfer. The list of C-ID numbers for CRC is available on the ASSIST website (


California Community Colleges are now offering associate degrees for transfer to the CSU. These may include Associate in Arts (AA-T) or Associate in Science (AS-T) degrees. These degrees are designed to provide streamlined pathways to CSU majors and baccalaureate degrees. In order to earn one of these degrees, students must complete 60 required semester units of CSU-transferable coursework, which includes the designated major and either the CSU GE Breadth or the IGETC requirements. Courses in the major must be completed with “C” grades or better, and an overall cumulative GPA not less than a 2.0.

California Community College students who are awarded an AA-T or AS-T degree are guaranteed admission with junior standing somewhere in the CSU system and given priority admission consideration to their local CSU campus or to a program that is deemed similar to their community college major. This priority does not guarantee admission to specific majors or campuses of the CSU. Current and prospective community college students wishing to transfer are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review their options for transfer and to develop an educational plan that best meets their goals and needs.

For students wishing to transfer to other universities (UC System, private or out-of-state), these degrees may not provide adequate preparation for upper division transfer admissions; it is critical that a student meet with a CRC counselor to select and plan the courses for the major they wish to pursue upon transfer, as programs vary widely in terms of the required preparation.

Students who have been awarded an AA-T or AS-T are able to complete their remaining requirements for the 120-unit baccalaureate degree at a CSU campus within 60 semester or 90 quarter units.

The following Associate Degrees for Transfer are now available and can be found on the pages of this Catalog with the same Program name:

  1. Agriculture Business (AS-T)

  2. Anthropology for Transfer (AA-T)

  3. Art History for Transfer (AA-T)

  4. Biology (AS-T)

  5. Business Administration for Transfer (AS-T)

  6. Communication Studies for Transfer (AA-T)

  7. Early Childhood Education for Transfer (AS-T)

  8. Economics for Transfer (AA-T)

  9. Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer (AS-T)

  10. English for Transfer (AA-T)

  11. Film, Television and Electronic Media (AS-T)

  12. Geography for Transfer (AA-T)

  13. Geology for Transfer (AS-T)

  14. History for Transfer (AA-T)

  15. Journalism for Transfer (AA-T)

  16. Kinesiology for Transfer (AA-T)

  17. Mathematics for Transfer (AS-T)

  18. Music for Transfer (AA-T)

  19. Nutrition and Dietetics (AS-T)

  20. Physics for Transfer (AS-T)

  21. Psychology for Transfer (AA-T)

  22. Sociology for Transfer (AA-T)

  23. Spanish for Transfer (AA-T)

  24. Studio Art for Transfer (AA-T)

  25. Theatre Arts for Transfer (AA-T)


Students who plan to transfer should take courses required by the institution they are preparing to attend. For detailed requirements for a specific major and college or university, students are strongly advised to meet with a counselor regularly because major preparation and general education requirements can change from year to year.

Transferable Courses
Transferable courses can satisfy lower division major preparation, general education, and/or elective requirements. Please meet with a counselor for specific transfer course evaluation.

Transfer Credit
Courses accepted for transfer by the University of California (UC) and/or California State University (CSU) are listed with the course description and are identified in the "course transferable to" area. Students who have questions regarding transferability of credits for specific courses to specific institutions should consult with a counselor.


Students planning to transfer to a CSU or UC should plan a program to meet the admission, lower-division major preparation, and general education requirements of the specific institution that they plan to attend. Transfer admission eligibility is based on transferable college units. Each institution has its own requirements for admission and for junior standing. To prepare for transfer, students must decide which four-year college or university they want to attend and meet with a counselor for the specific requirements to create an educational plan.

CSU General Education-Breadth Requirements and Certification
Students will be required to complete a minimum of 48 semester units in general education for a bachelor’s degree at a CSU. Students can complete a maximum of 39 units of general education courses at a community college, but nine (9) units are upper-division courses that must be completed at the CSU. Cosumnes River College will complete and send a GE-Breadth Certification for students to the CSU of their choice, upon request, to verify completion of the 39 units of general education requirements. For full certification, all 39 units must be completed. Courses completed at other colleges/universities will need to be evaluated by a counselor. Please call the Counseling Center for an appointment.

CSU Upper-Division Transfers
Generally, applicants will qualify for admission as upper-division transfer student if they:

  1. Have a grade point average of at least 2.0 ("C" or better) in all transferable units completed
  2. Have completed a minimum of 60 semester or 90 quarter transferable units
  3. Are in good standing at the last college or university attended Transfer Information
  4. Have completed at least 30 semester units of college coursework with a grade of "C" or better in each course to be selected from courses in English, arts and humanities, social science, science and mathematics at a level at least equivalent to courses that meet general education requirements. The 30 units must include courses in: Oral Communication (A1), Written Communication (A2), Critical Thinking (A3), and Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning (B4).

NOTE: These are minimum requirements for admission to the CSU. Some specific major and university requirements for admission may be more selective. See a counselor for more detail.


UC General Education Requirements and Certification
General Education requirements are designed to give University undergraduates a broad background in all major academic disciplines.
Every UC campus and school or discipline has its own general education requirement. Students have the option of completing the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC).

Completion of all the general education requirements in the IGETC will permit a student to transfer to either a University of California or California State University system without the need, after transfer, to take additional lower-division general education courses. For full IGETC Certification, the course requirements for all areas must be completed. All courses must be completed with a "C" grade or better. Student must meet with a counselor to complete the IGETC Certification. Please call the Counseling Center for an appointment.

UC Upper Division Transfer
To be eligible for admission as a junior transfer student, a student must fulfill both of the following criteria:

  1. Complete 60 semester (90 quarter) units of transferable college credit with a GPA of at least 2.4 (2.8 for nonresidents). No more than 14 semester (21 quarter) units may be taken Pass/No Pass (formerly Credit/No Credit).
  2. Complete the following course pattern requirements, earning a grade of "C" or better in each course:
    1. Two transferable college courses (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units each) in English composition;
    2. One transferable college course (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units) in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning;
    3. Four transferable college courses (3 semester or 4-5 quarter units each) chosen from at least two of the following subject areas: the arts and humanities, the social and behavioral sciences, and the physical and biological sciences.

NOTE: These are minimum requirements for admission to the UC. Some specific major and university requirements may be more selective. See a counselor for more detail.


California's fully accredited independent colleges and universities provide a host of options at undergraduate, graduate and professional levels for students planning to continue their education beyond community college.

Students who transfer to independent colleges or universities will be given academic credit for most, if not all, of their community college studies. Virtually all institutions give full credit for general education courses and usually for other courses designated for transfer by the community college.

Some colleges and universities stipulate a certain number of completed units before considering students eligible for transfer. Others do not and will accept students at any time. The requirements are outlined in the respective college catalogs, available upon request from the college's Admissions Office. Students are urged to contact their counselors for additional information.

Consult the CRC Articulation web site for information about agreements between CRC and selected colleges/universities. The web address is: Click on "University Articulation Agreements." Make sure you work with your counselor as you plan for transfer.