Catalog Archive sidebar and hidden CSS

Looking for Archives?

Catalogs from past years can be found on our Download page.

Admission Requirements and Procedures

Admission Requirements and Procedures

The admission process is designed to support student success. Participation in the process of assessment, orientation, counseling and student progress follow-up directly relates to a student’s achievement of their educational goals. Cosumnes River College is committed to providing a comprehensive array of support services to ensure every student has an opportunity to achieve academic success.


Cosumnes River College is open to all residents who are high school graduates or who are at least 18 years of age and able to benefit from the instruction offered. Questions regarding eligibility should be directed to the Admissions and Records Office. A completed application with declared residency and signature page must be on file prior to enrolling (registering) in classes. Others may be admitted upon approval by the college. If you are a permanent resident, verification of your residency may be required.


Every course, course section, or class offered within the Los Rios Community College District that receives state support is open to all students who have been admitted to the colleges and meet the course requirements (prerequisites), unless specifically exempted by law, and as may be established according to Chapter II, Division, 2, Part VI, Title 5 of the California Administrative Code, commencing with Section 51006.

Limited English Proficiency
Career/Technical education classes are open to all students. Although the lack of proficiency in English is no barrier to enrollment in vocational education courses, it is suggested the students deficient in English utilize the services of the college that are provided for persons who are limited in English proficiency or take courses in English as a Second Language.

Advanced Education for High School Students
The college may allow currently enrolled high school students, who are age 16 or older or have completed the 10th grade with a 2.7 GPA, to enroll for advanced educational enrichment with the approval of their school principal/counselor and parent/guardian. These advanced education students (taking no more than 2 courses) are exempt from enrollment fees but not from books/materials costs. Fees for non-residents still apply. The Advanced Education Form must accompany the college registration process. Students interested in this program should first contact the CRC Counseling Center, phone (916) 691-7316.

Determination of Residency
California state law requires that each student enrolled in or applying for admission to a California Community College provide proof of his/her residence classification.

The statutes regarding residence determination are found in Sections 68000-68090 and 76140 of the Education Code, Sections 54000-54072 of the California Administrative Code and in the regulations of the Los Rios Community College District. These regulations are available in the Admissions and Records Office of the college and are subject to the interpretation of the college.

The California residency requirement has two parts, Act and Intent. To claim residency a student must have lived in, and shown intent to reside in, California by one or more of the following acts of intent:

  • Paying California income taxes
  • Possessing a valid California driver’s license
  • Registering and voting in the state
  • Owning and registering a car in California, and/or
  • The absence of these ties with another state or country

Concurrent with these acts of intent, physical presence in the state for one year prior to the first day of the semester is needed to establish California residency in the District. Because the residency requirement is complicated, students with questions should contact the Admissions and Records Office in P-48 for more information.

Non-resident Student
A student classified as a non-resident will be required to pay out-of-state tuition, which is set by the Board of Trustees of the Los Rios Community College District.

Under Assembly Bill 540, some non-resident students may be eligible for a waiver of non-resident tuition fees. Interested students should contact the Admissions and Records Office to discuss eligibility. Qualified students are still responsible for the per unit general enrollment fee.

Information regarding tuition fees and refunds is found in the “Fee Requirements” and “Fee Refund” sections of this catalog.

Residency Reclassification Requests
Students may apply for reclassification to California resident by completing a reclassification application and providing sufficient documentation to support California residency. State requirements to become a California Code of Regulations (Title 5).

Under California law, to be reclassified from a non-resident to a California resident, a student must clearly demonstrate:

  1. Physical presence in California,
  2. Intent to reside in California permanently, and
  3. Financial independence, if the student was classified as a non-resident in a preceding term.

Please see the Admissions and Records Office for the reclassification application and instructions.

Undocumented Students
Under Assembly Bill 540, a student (non-U.S. citizen) who is residing in the United States without official authorization from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) may be eligible for a waiver of non-resident tuition fees. Interested students should contact the Admissions and Records Office to discuss eligibility. Qualified students are still responsible for the per unit general enrollment fee. All inquiries are strictly confidential, and the student's information is not reported to any outside agencies.

Incorrect Classification
Non-resident students who have falsified information and enrolled without paying their fees will be excluded from classes upon notification, pending payment of the fee. Written notification may be given at any time. These students will not be readmitted during the semester or summer session from which they were excluded, nor shall they be admitted to any following semester or summer session until all previously incurred tuition obligations are paid.

If a student is erroneously determined to be a non-resident and a tuition fee is paid, the fee is refundable provided acceptable proof of state residence is presented within the period for which the fee was paid.


Persons interested in enrolling must file an application by going to the college website at

Admission with Advanced Standing
Cosumnes River College welcomes transfer students from other accredited schools and colleges. Those students who have earned grades averaging less than 2.0 (“C”) will be admitted on probation.

Students who have been dismissed or disqualified from another accredited collegiate institution may be denied admission for one semester after dismissal or disqualification, if applying for admission to Cosumnes River College immediately after dismissal. (See the section on Academic Dismissal in this catalog)

Admission for Veterans and/or Dependents
Students should contact Veterans Services, located in the Admissions and Records Office, at least two months prior to the term of attendance to initiate and complete required paperwork. In addition, all recipients must confirm their classes with Veterans Services after completion of registration. All material submitted to the Veterans Administration takes approximately two months for processing through the Veterans Administration Regional Office in Muskogee, Oklahoma.

After enrolling at CRC, a veteran may apply for evaluation of military service experience for college credit. A copy of the veteran's DD214 (member copy 4) separation paper must be submitted to Veterans Services in the Admissions and Records Office.

For more information, veterans or dependents should contact Veterans Services in the Admissions and Records Office or call (916) 691-7422.

Admission for International Students
International students who wish to enter Cosumnes River College must contact the Admissions and Records Office. Such students should initiate an application for admission at least six months prior to the opening date of the semester in which they intend to enroll.

If accepted, international students will complete the admission process. A Certificate of Eligibility, Form I-20, is issued to indicate final acceptance. To be certified as full-time students with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service), international students must enroll in a minimum of 12 units and must maintain a 2.0 (“C”) average at all times. Students must report any reduction in course/unit load to the International Student Office of as soon as possible. 

International students must pay the International Student Tuition Fee (see page 18) in addition to the per unit fee and capital outlay fee. The college does not provide clinical health services and requires a mandatory health insurance policy or equivalent medical protection for international students. In addition, the college requires the results of a current tuberculosis skin test or chest X-ray. Health insurance and skin testing services are available at the Health Services Office located in the Operations and Public Safety building. (No appointment necessary except for TB skin testing).

Beginning each semester, students on F visas are required to show evidence of approved health insurance coverage. Health coverage must be maintained throughout the duration of their studies.


All new students are required to complete online orientation and assessment. Completing the online orientation is the best way to begin your college experience. The orientation provides student with important information that aids in the transition to college. The online orientation can be found on our website at

Reading, writing, and math skills are essential for learning and understanding all subjects. It is helpful for students to know their level of performance in these areas. Assessment in these subjects will show educational strengths and challenges. This is helpful for planning a course of study. Assessment results, along with high school records, educational and employment experiences, current work schedule and motivational levels are used by counselors to create Student Educational Plans. (See page 12 for more details on Assessment Services.)


All students should meet with a CRC Counselor to develop an individualized Student Educational Plan (iSEP). New students may participate in a group counseling (with other new students that may be in our classes) and have an opportunity to discuss academic expectations, student success programs, and select classes for registration. Students who complete orientation, assessment, and counseling are eligible for priority registration. To schedule an appointment contact the Counseling Office at (916) 691-7316.


Complete registration instructions are in the schedule of classes each semester. Online and in-person registration is available during registration periods. Check the Class Schedule for details.


It is the applicant’s responsibility to have official high school records and official transcripts of all work attempted, completed or in progress at ALL other accredited colleges forwarded directly to the Cosumnes River College Admissions and Records (A & R) Office. Students with degrees earned outside of the U.S. must have their transcripts evaluated and/or translated by an accredited agency providing this service. The A & R Office must receive official transcripts of any “Work in Progress” immediately after completion of such work. These records also apply to any summer session or correspondence work.


All new students are encouraged to meet with their counselors at least once during their first semester. This session helps students with goal setting, selection of a major, career exploration, and the completion of a Student Educational Plan. Students are encouraged to make an appointment early in the semester to ensure preparation for the following semester's registration. The best months to make an appointment are September, October, November and February, March and April.

Admission Requirements and Procedures


At the time of publication of this catalog, the following fees are in effect:

General Enrollment Fees

All students must pay a per unit general enrollment fee. Students who have met the California residency requirement are assessed $46 per unit. Students eligible for a fee waiver and/or financial aid should apply for assistance as soon as possible.

The California Community College Board of Governors provides a waiver of fees for qualified students

(see page 26 of this catalog for financial assistance information).

Note: Fees are subject to change, as they are set by the State Legislature. Students who have registered for classes prior to any increase will be billed for the additional amount. Fees are due and payable at time of registration.

Non-Resident/International Tuition

Students who do not meet the California residency requirement are assessed $234 per unit tuition fee, plus the per unit general enrollment fee.

Undocumented and Non-resident Students:
Under Assembly Bill 540, a student (non-U.S. citizen) who is residing in the United States without official authorization from the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) may be eligible for a waiver of non-resident tuition fees. This fee waiver option is also available to U.S. citizens who do not qualify as California residents but meet the requirements of AB 540. Interested students should contact the Admissions Office to discuss eligibility. Qualifying students are still responsible for the per unit general enrollment fee.

Capital Outlay Fee
Non-resident students, both Out-of-State and International, are assessed $16 per unit fee for capital outlay purposes, in addition to the per unit general enrollment fee and per unit Out-of-State/International tuition fee.

Instructional Material Fees
Instructional material fees for designated courses may be assessed in accordance with Title V, Section 59400 and District Policy 2253.

Student Access Card/Universal Transit Pass
Los Rios students passed Universal Transit Pass Measure A, which provides students, enrolled in more than 3 units, a transit pass for use on all Regional Transit (RT) and Elk Grove (E-tran) bus and light rail systems in the Sacramento area.

The pass can be used 7 days a week, from June 1-July 31 for the Summer term and August 1-December 31 for the Fall term.

Students who are enrolled in more than 3 units at any one of the Los Rios Colleges will be assessed a non-refundable fee of $8.40 (minimum), or $2.10 per unit up to 15 units, $31.50 (maximum). For example: a student enrolled in 3 units is not eligible for the transit pass (Fall/Spring), a student enrolled in 3.01 to four units will pay $8.40 a semester, a student enrolled in 12 units will pay $25.20 a semester, and a student enrolled in 15 or more units will pay the maximum fee of $31.50 Los Rios students who carry three or fewer units at each individual college location are not eligible for the Universal Transit Pass. However they will be eligible for a 50% discount on RT’s regular monthly pass ($55 instead of $110 per month).

All students enrolled in the Summer session (any number of units) will be assessed a $10 fee for the Universal Transit Pass, for use from June 1 to July 31.

Visit see website for more information

Parking Fees
A valid parking permit is required 24 hours a day, seven days per week. Overnight parking is not permitted without written permission from the College.

Parking permits may be prepaid when you submit your payment of registration fees in person, by mail or online. All prepaid parking decals will be mailed to the student, regardless of when payment is received in the Business Services (Cashier) Office, beginning fifteen (15) days prior to the start of the term or semester. The decal will be mailed to the address on file at the Admissions & Records Office. The prepaid parking decal application can be found at the back of this class schedule. (Be sure your address on file is current.)

IF PARKING FEES ARE NOT PREPAID, a decal may be purchased at the Business Services (Cashier) Office beginning fourteen (14) days prior to the start of the semester. You are encouraged to buy your parking pass early to avoid waiting in line!

Parking Permits may be purchased Online! Go to, and log into eServices and click the link Purchase Parking Decals.

Field Trip Fees Some classes may include a field trip. Fees, if any, for a field trip will be included in the course section information of the class schedule. Students who do not have sufficient funds for field trip fees may qualify to have their fees waived or may be given an alternate assignment, as appropriate.

Student Representation Fee

Under provision of California Education Code section 76060.5 and California Administrative Code sections 54801-54805, the students of this college have established a Student Representation Fee.

Use of Fee: The money collected from the student representation fee shall be expended to provide for students or representatives who may be stating their positions and viewpoints before city, county and district government, and before offices and agencies of the state or federal government.

Amount of Fee: The student representation fee is one dollar ($1.00) per semester.

Right to Request a Refund: The fee is mandatory; however, a student has the right to request a refund for religious, political, moral or financial reasons. To request this refund, the student must fill out a form available in the Business Services (Cashier) Office.


Payment is due upon registration. You will be dropped for non-payment as follows:

  • If you register prior to the start of the semester, your payment must be processed within 14 (fourteen) days of registration or by June 8 (for Summer) or August 24 (for Fall), whichever comes first, or you will be dropped.
  • If you register after the start of the semester, your payment is due immediately, or you will be dropped.


  • For immediate credit, pay online using a credit card at
  • Mail or in-person payments are accepted with completed payment coupon and must be received by the Business Services (Cashier) Office no later than 14 calendar days following registration, or June 8 (for Summer) or August 24 (for Fall), whichever comes first, to allow time for manual processing (see Page 2 of payment coupon for mailing addresses).
  • You will not be invoiced for fees due. You may check your balance due online at
  • You may be eligible for a waiver of your enrollment fees. For more information, please see Page 2 of payment coupon, go online to http://, or visit the College Financial Aid Office.


Students requesting non-resident or international payment plans must make the request at the Business Services Office within the timelines listed under “Important Payment Information.”

Students must complete a Board of Governors Assistance Waiver (BOG) prior to registering for classes. The Financial Aid Office determines eligibility for the fee waiver. Applicants may be required to submit proof of income and/or legal residency.

Remember, your fee waiver must be processed and posted to your account within the timelines listed under “Important Payment Information.” Simply applying and being approved for a fee waiver is not enough.

After registering, students using scholarships or sponsorships must have documentation on file in the Business Services Office within the timelines listed under “Important Payment Information.” Students using State of California, Dept. of Rehabilitation, or Job Corps funds must submit a payment voucher or sponsorship letter to the Business Services Office within the timelines listed under “Important Payment Information” after registering.


For all semester lengths, fees for enrollment, tuition, international capital outlay, parking and the UTP Pass are refundable. Application and installment payment plan fees are not refundable.

For all semester length courses, enrollment, tuition, and capital outlay fees are refundable through the Friday of the second week of instruction. Short-term courses are refundable through the Friday of the first week of instruction.

It is the responsibility of the student to apply for fee refunds. To be eligible for processing, the student must:

  • Drop classes online or in person at the Admissions and Records Office. Check Class Schedule for the current semester's deadlines to drop for a refund.
  • Submit a refund request form to the Business Services (Cashier) Office or online no later than the last day of the semester or session currently being completed, or the refund will be disallowed. Credit balances will be forfeited and do not carry over to the next semester/term.
  • Prorated refunds are not available under current legislative law. A refund to the credit card or a check will be mailed to eligible students approximately eight weeks after the refund application is submitted.

A student who must withdraw for military purposes shall be refunded 100% of fees and tuition paid, regardless of the date of withdrawal. Requests for refunds made after the end of the semester will be honored.

Application forms are available at the Business Services (Cashier) office. You may also submit your request for a fee refund by using our Online Fee Refund Application at


(American Opportunity Credit and Lifetime Learning Credit) Students (or parents of dependent students) may be able to obtain

federal tax credits for enrollment fees if the student is enrolled in at least 6 units during any semester or summer session, and the student meets the other conditions prescribed by federal law. Students who consent to online access can view and print the IRS Form 1098-T through eServices by January 31 of each year. For eligible students who do not consent to online access, the IRS Form 1098-T will be mailed by January 31. More information on the American Opportunity Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit is available on IRS Form 8863 at the following web address: OR